Introduction to honors in BMB.
Schreyer Honors College students are eligible to obtain their honors degree from the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB) Department. The BMB department has a very robust honors program with approximately 75 members. For the scholastically inclined who is interested in laboratory research, the BMB honors program has much to offer. Honors sections are available for the introductory Microbiology and Cell Biology courses and for the more advanced General Biochemistry courses. In addition, students can choose to do honors options (at the approval of the instructor) to enhance non-honors courses. Students interested in understanding biological processes at a molecular level will have the opportunity to do independent research in any laboratory on the University Park campus as long as the project uses molecular approaches to investigate biological mechanisms. Hence, research with faculty in BMB, Biology, Chemistry and other programs are suitable for obtaining an honors degree from BMB.
The Honors Thesis is an important aspect of your Honors work in BMB. Normally, this will involve presenting original research results that you have performed over the previous semesters. Guidelines are outlined below.
- New Student Orientation Guide for Scholar Students
- Honors Thesis Policy
- Honors Thesis Form
- Guidelines for Writing a Thesis
- Thesis Draft Evaluation Form
- Sample Thesis Title Page
- Schreyer Thesis Submission Guide
- Browse all past Schreyer Honors College theses by author or by key word
Entrance into the BMB honors program
To be eligible for an honors degree from BMB, students must first apply to the Schreyer Honors College. Students can apply for acceptance into the Schreyer Honors College at the time of their application to Penn State when their acceptance will be judged by the Schreyer Honors College. Alternatively, students already at Penn State with at least a 3.7 GPA can apply to the Schreyer Honors College at the end of their first or second year. Those Penn State students wanting to obtain an honors degree from BMB and meeting the eligibility requirements of the Schreyer Honors College, are then evaluated by honors advisors in BMB. Judgement is based on the student’s performance in Math and Chemistry courses as well the introductory Microbiology (Micrb 201) and Cell Biology (BMB/Micrb 251) courses. Since most students do not take the introductory Microbiology and Cell Biology courses until their second year, those students planning to obtain honors from BMB usually apply at the end of their second year if not already accepted to the honors college at the time of first enrolling into Penn State.
Honors Independent Research – BMB 496 Honors Option (BMB 496H)
Spring 2021 Deadlines
- February 1, 2021 – Monday – Honors Option Deadline for submission to Schreyer
- March 1, 2021 – Monday – Schreyer Plan Deadline for All Scholars
- May 15, 2020 – Friday – Thesis Proposal Deadline for submission to Schreyer
- January 22, 2021 – Friday – Schreyer Thesis Format Midpoint Check-In Deadline
- March 5, 2021 – Friday – Schreyer Thesis Format Review Deadline
- April 5, 2021 – Monday – Final Thesis Submission Deadline for submission to Schreyer
- April 12, 2021 – Monday – Thesis (and Honors) Faculty Approval Deadline
- April 14, 2021 – Wednesday – Thesis Schreyer Approval Deadline
- May 7, 2021 – Friday – Senior Reception: CANCELLED
- May 6, 2021 – Thursday – Medals Ceremony: Virtual, 7:00 pm
***For Schreyer Deadlines, please visit the Schreyer Academic Handbook and select your entry year to find more information***
Summer 2021 Deadlines
- July 2, 2021 – Friday – Honors Option Deadline
- July 16, 2020 – Thursday - Thesis Proposal Deadline
- July 5, 2021 - Monday – Thesis Format Midpoint Check-In Deadline
- July 5, 2021 – Monday – Thesis Format Review Deadline
- July 12, 2021 – Monday – Final Thesis Submission Deadline
- July 19, 2021 – Monday – Thesis Faculty Approval
- July 20, 2021 – Tuesday – Thesis Schreyer Approval Deadline
- August 14, 2021 – Saturday – Senior Reception: Location & Time TBA
- August 14, 2021 – Saturday – Medals Ceremony: Location TBA - Time: 9:00 am
Submitting your Thesis Early
Theses may be submitted to the Schreyer Honors College prior to your intended semester of graduation if you will be student teaching or studying abroad. If you submit your thesis early, please note the correct semester of graduation on your thesis title page.
Schreyer Honors College
The Schreyer Honors College (Penn State's Honors College) website has information on honors courses, news and events, list of honor's courses and advisers, scholarships, your Honors Thesis and many more topics.