Introduction to honors in BMB.
Schreyer Honors College students are eligible to obtain their honors degree from the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB) Department. The BMB department has a very robust honors program with approximately 75 members. For the scholastically inclined who is interested in laboratory research, the BMB honors program has much to offer. Honors sections are available for the introductory Microbiology and Cell Biology courses and for the more advanced General Biochemistry courses. In addition, students can choose to do honors options (at the approval of the instructor) to enhance non-honors courses. Students interested in understanding biological processes at a molecular level will have the opportunity to do independent research in any laboratory on the University Park campus as long as the project uses molecular approaches to investigate biological mechanisms. Hence, research with faculty in BMB, Biology, Chemistry and other programs are suitable for obtaining an honors degree from BMB.
The Honors Thesis is an important aspect of your Honors work in BMB. Normally, this will involve presenting original research results that you have performed over the previous semesters. Guidelines are outlined below.
- New Student Orientation Guide for Scholar Students
- Honors Thesis Policy
- Honors Thesis Form
- Progress Report Form
- Guidelines for Writing a Thesis
- Thesis Draft Evaluation Form
- Sample Thesis Title and Signature Page
- Schreyer Thesis Submission Guide
- Browse all past Schreyer Honors College theses by author or by key word
Entrance into the BMB honors program
To be eligible for an honors degree from BMB, students must first apply to the Schreyer Honors College. Students can apply for acceptance into the Schreyer Honors College at the time of their application to Penn State when their acceptance will be judged by the Schreyer Honors College. Alternatively, students already at Penn State with at least a 3.7 GPA can apply to the Schreyer Honors College at the end of their first or second year. Those Penn State students wanting to obtain an honors degree from BMB and meeting the eligibility requirements of the Schreyer Honors College, are then evaluated by honors advisors in BMB. Judgement is based on the student’s performance in Math and Chemistry courses as well the introductory Microbiology (Micrb 201) and Cell Biology (BMB/Micrb 251) courses. Since most students do not take the introductory Microbiology and Cell Biology courses until their second year, those students planning to obtain honors from BMB usually apply at the end of their second year if not already accepted to the honors college at the time of first enrolling into Penn State.
Fall 2019 Deadlines
- September 13, 2019, Friday - Honors Option Form Deadline
- September 13, 2019, Friday - Honors Independent Study/Research Form Deadline
- September 16, 2019, Monday - Academic Plan for New Scholars Deadline
- November 15, 2018, Thursday - Thesis Proposal Deadline
- September 16, 2019, Monday - Thesis midpoint check-in deadline
- October 21, 2019, Monday - Thesis Rough draft due in BMB
- November 04, 2019, Monday - Mandatory Thesis Format Review Submission Deadline
- November 04, 2019, Monday - Final Thesis due to BMB Department
- November 11, 2019, Monday - Final Thesis Submission Deadline
- December 20, 2019, Friday, 5:00 PM, Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel - Medals Ceremony
Spring 2020 Deadlines
- January 24, 2020, Friday - Honors Option Form Deadline
- January 24, 2020, Friday - Honors Independent Study/Research Form Deadline
- March 02, 2020, Monday - Academic Plan for All Scholars Deadline
- April 12, 2019, Friday - Thesis proposal deadline
- January 17, 2020, Friday - Thesis midpoint check-in deadline
- February 27, 2020, Thursday - Draft of thesis due to research adviser
- March 6, 2020, Friday - Mandatory thesis format review submission deadline
- March 13, 2020, Friday - Draft of thesis due to honors adviser
- March 30, 2020, Monday - Final thesis due to BMB Department
- April 6, 2020, Monday - Final Thesis submission deadline to Schreyer
- May 8, 2019, Friday - 4:30 PM, TBA
Summer 2020 Deadlines
- July 2, 2020, Thursday - Honors Option Form Deadline
- July 2, 2020, Thursday - Honors Independent Study/Research Form Deadline
- July 17, 2019, Wednesday - Thesis proposal deadline
- June 30, 2020, Tuesday - Draft of thesis due to research adviser
- July 7, 2020, Tuesday - Mandatory thesis format review submission deadline
- July 6, 2020, Monday - Final thesis due to BMB Department
- July 13, 2020, Monday - Final Thesis submission deadline to Schreyer
- August 15, 2020, Saturday - 9:00 AM, Bryce Jordan Center - Medals Ceremony
Submitting your Thesis Early
Theses may be submitted to the Schreyer Honors College prior to your intended semester of graduation if you will be student teaching or studying abroad. If you submit your thesis early, please note the correct semester of graduation on your thesis title page.
The Schreyer Honors College (Penn State's Honors College) website has information on honors courses, news and events, list of honor's courses and advisers, scholarships, your Honors Thesis and many more topics.