Are you ready to join our program? You will find the information you need to begin your application below. BMMB's application deadline is December 15, 2019, so you should begin as soon as possible to ensure your application is given highest priority.
How to Apply
- Check out Penn State’s Graduate School’s requirements for admissions
- Prepare the application materials
- Fill out the online application
- Pay the application fee
- If the $65 application fee presents a financial hardship, please contact us by email to be considered for a fee waiver.
Submissions from domestic and international applicants with a bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant field will be considered.
Program Specific Questions
BMMB does not require a personal statement. Instead the program has designed program specific questions within the application that must be completed for you to submit your application.
- Describe one or more research experiences you have had (in class, in a research lab, at work, etc.), including the scientific questions you were addressing and what you learned.
- What are your current research interests and why is that field/area attractive to you? (if you are interested in particular research groups in BMMB, this is a good place to mention it.)
- Briefly describe a personal or an academic obstacle you have overcome or a challenge you have met. What impact did it have on your life and/or what did you learn about yourself?
- Socially diverse groups do better science, are more productive and innovative, and make better decisions. How would you support or contribute to diversity and inclusion in the BMMB program?
- Please describe any other qualifications, interests, outreach or experiences that you would like us to know about. (This is a chance to tell us anything that you think is relevant that we didn't ask!)
- How did you learn about the Biochemistry, Microbiology and Molecular Biology (BMMB) graduate program?
- Three recommendation letters. At least one letter from a research adviser(s) is recommended. Please note that recommendation letters are to be submitted by the referees (not by the applicant), and that the letters must be received for the application to be considered complete.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume - Upload unofficial and/or scanned versions of transcripts for all institutions attended directly into the online application. The Graduate School will require all accepted students to submit official transcripts prior to enrollment at Penn State.
- BMMB no longer evaluates GRE scores for admission to our graduate program. If you have taken the GREs and would like to submit your scores, you may self-report your score within the application.
- International applicants (with some exceptions) are required to take the TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) and submit the results of the test with the application for admission. Our institution/school code is 2660, departmental code is 34.
Applications to the program are reviewed by the BMMB Graduate Recruiting Committee. All materials must be received before the application can be evaluated. Following review of the applications, prospective students will be contacted about scheduling an in-person interview at Penn State for applicants currently living in North America or by video conferencing for applicants living outside of North America. Scheduling and additional information for these weekends is provided at the time of invitation. Decisions on offers of admission will be made after interviews. Applicants will be contacted as soon as possible to inform them of their status.
You may check the status of your application by visiting The Graduate School's website.