Before You Start Writing Your Dissertation
Become familiar with the format requirements by reading the Thesis and Dissertation Guide carefully!
PhD Graduation Checklist
- PhD students must be registered in the semester in which they will take their final oral examination. This requirement includes summer. Please see Summer Registration guidelines for more information. International students should schedule an appointment with their DISSA adviser as soon as they have an idea of their graduation timelines to discuss visa/OPT options.
- Apply to graduate on LionPATH during the semester in which you plan to graduate. Go to http://www.registrar.psu.edu/graduation/intent.cfm for instructions. Go to http://gradschool.psu.edu/current-students/etd/thesisdissertationperformance-calendar/ for deadlines.
- Upload a draft of your dissertation for format review (pdf only) to the eTD website by the specified deadline. Corrections and detailed instructions will be returned to you by email within two weeks.
- Schedule your public dissertation seminar and oral examination and inform the Graduate Program Coordinator of your date, time, location, and title three weeks before your seminar/examination.
- Provide your PhD committee with a polished, draft of your dissertation at least two weeks prior to your dissertation defense.
- Present your public dissertation seminar and pass your final oral examination.
- Submit manuscript to referred research journal (if not already completed).
- Make any changes to your dissertation as required by your committee. Receive approval from the committee in the form of signatures on the Doctoral Signatory Page.
- Review the dissertation one final time to be sure that no further changes are needed. It will not be possible to make corrections after final approval by the Office of Theses and Dissertations. Convert the file into a pdf for eTD submission.
- Go to the eTD website and upload the final eTD; submit supporting materials to the Office of Theses and Dissertations, (Note: It doesn’t matter if you upload first or submit the materials first). Supporting materials are: signed Doctoral Signatory Page, ProQuest/UMI Agreement, Survey of Earned Doctorates, and $95 fee. The fee can be paid at the Graduate School Thesis/Dissertation Payment Portal.
- Await notification of eTD approval by email. If changes are required, you will be notified. Your eTD will be accessible on the eTD website.
- If bound copies are needed, contact any Multimedia & Print Center on campus or you may use an off-campus source. All copies are the student’s responsibility. The Graduate School does not provide copies.
- Walk in Graduation and celebrate! Congratulations on obtaining your PhD!
- Join the BMMB Alumni LinkedIn group to keep in touch.