Finding the right opportunity will take some work on your part, but it is worth it.
- Start early! Think at least 1 semester in advance. The sooner you start making connections, the sooner faculty members will know who you are.
Make Connections, and get to know faculty members in your area of interest
- Don’t be afraid. Faculty members mentor undergraduates because they want to, not because they have to. They are invested in your future, and appreciate your enthusiasm. You offer them a fresh perspective and new ideas. Plus, your help will increase the productivity of their research. It is a win, win.
Take the time to decide
- What do you hope to get out of your research experience?
- What are your interests?
- When are you available to do research, and how much time will you have?
- Do you want to do research for credit, money, or as a volunteer?