From the Dean
The Eberly College of Science recognizes diversity as a broad and multi-faceted issue. We strongly support the University’s nondiscrimination policy and seek to provide an environment of mutual respect among individuals of all backgrounds and among individuals holding differing perspectives and ideas. We strive to have a climate supportive and welcoming for everyone, inclusive of those who identify with different cultures, racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities, religious beliefs, physical disabilities, and nontraditional learners. We strive to achieve equal access to education, including equal success and graduation rates for all constituents within our student body. We encourage students in the college to explore courses and other opportunities that promote intellectual inquiry regarding diverse ideas, peoples, and cultures.
To recognize individuals and programs that have evidenced extraordinary commitment to enhancing our environment of mutual respect for differing backgrounds and points of view. These awards highlight undergraduate students, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, faculty members, staff members , and programs within the college that are supportive and welcoming of everyone in the Eberly College of Science community. These awards allow us to share the success stories and celebrate the leadership and vision of these College community members and programs and continue to nurture a respectful environment within the college.
The Dean’s Climate and Diversity Awards are presented to college community members that have championed the causes of diversity and climate in the Eberly College of Science. The Dean’s Climate and Diversity Awards will recognize outstanding accomplishments and general impact in any of the following diversity or climate areas:
Mentoring and Outreach
- Improve the climate of the Eberly College of Science for the college community.
- Encourage the professional advancement, academic advancement, or well-being of underrepresented groups in the applicant’s field of study.
- Contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in the Eberly College of Science (such as through recruitment and mentoring of faculty or students).
Development and implementation of effective strategies for teaching that:
- Advance the Eberly College of Science climate or the understanding of underrepresented groups in the field of instruction.
- Advance the education of undergraduate, graduate, or professional students from underrepresented groups in the field of instruction and include activities such as classroom instruction, direction of independent study, theses and dissertations and mentoring.
Research or Creative Work
Development or implementation of innovative research or creative work that:
- Advances the Eberly College of Science by improving climate or enhancing the understanding of underrepresented groups.
- Has the potential to improve the quality of life for underrepresented groups in the field of study.
A call for nominations for the 2020 Climate and Diversity Award has been made available. For full consideration, nominations should be submitted by December 4, 2020.
By the deadline above, please fill out the nomination form on the ECOS Climate & Diversity web page. Click on the link below:
A Selection Committee consisting of members of the Eberly College of Science Climate and Diversity Committee, Eberly College of Science Departmental Climate and Diversity Committees, and other Eberly College of Science members will select the recipients based on the above Award Criteria. Awardees will be notified by letter of the award decision in January. Recipients will be honored at an award ceremony that will be held during the spring semester.