Admissions Requirements and Application Instructions
The BS/MBA Program is open to students admitted to the Eberly College of Science at University Park campus.
Students admitted to the program exhibit an ability to communicate effectively, an advanced level of maturity, and high motivation to pursue a joint science/business educational program.
Program admission decisions are made together by the Eberly College of Science and the Smeal College of Business.
For incoming first-year students, the decision to extend an invitation to enter the program involves:
- Applying to Penn State at University Park campus by completing the regular admissions application available on the Penn State Undergraduate Admissions website.
- Note: The Penn State Admissions application typically opens by August 1 and should be submitted by November 1, for priority consideration.
- Then, applying to the BS/MBA Program by completing the BS/MBA Program Application.
- The BS/MBA Program Application plus two confidential recommendations must be submitted soon after your application to Penn State to receive priority consideration for the BS/MBA Program. We will consider qualified applicants until the limited number of positions in the first year class is filled.
- After reviewing applications, a limited number of candidates will be invited to interview virtually with representatives of the Eberly College of Science and the Smeal College of Business.
Each incoming BS/MBA class has approximately 10 students, and we will continue to accept applications until the class is filled.
Applications may be considered from current students at University Park campus as program space permits. Students who are interested in joining the program should complete the BS/MBA Program Application no later than the fall semester of their 2nd year at Penn State to ensure ample time for completion of all degree requirements. Qualified applicants will be invited to interview as space permits.
For more information about the program, please contact:
Debbie Brown, Administrative Support Assistant
Students in the BS/MBA Program take the same courses and have schedules similar to students in the various scientific disciplinary majors within the Eberly College of Science, depending on the student’s area of science focus. They are expected to perform at an A/B level in all courses. During the final year of undergraduate study, students will complete the application to the M.B.A. program, which includes submitting official educational transcripts, resume, reference contacts, essays, and a virtual interview.
During the undergraduate portion of the program, if students are not performing at a 3.5 GPA or higher (on a 4.0 scale), they may be asked to withdraw from the BS/MBA Program. Typically, such a student would remain at Penn State in another program of study.
Students in this program are eligible to receive scholarships during the undergraduate portion of the program from the Balog Endowment, based on availability of resources and the program director's discretion.
While completing the requirements for the B.S. in Science degree, students will be charged Penn State’s regular undergraduate tuition rate. Upon earning the undergraduate degree and gaining formal admission to Smeal’s M.B.A. program, students will be charged the graduate-level M.B.A. tuition rate.