Instructional faculty in the Eberly College of Science have access to training and information to ensure that instruction in science and math aligns with the learning styles of our students.
Technology Tools and Resources
The Student Rating of Teaching Effectiveness (SRTEs) are Penn State's locally developed instrument for gathering feedback from students at the end of the term. The SRTEs were approved by the University Faculty Senate in 1985 and are administered by the Office of the Vice Provost of Academic Affairs. The Schreyer Institute manages the SRTE process and helps facilitate appropriate use of SRTE data.
The Summer Experience in the Eberly College of Science (SEECoS) is a program that is a collaborative effort between ECOS and the Penn State Upward Bound Math and Science (UBMS) Program. The mission of the SEECoS Progam is to provide first generation, economically challenged students from the state of Pennsylvania with the opportunity to participate in a summer science research project. The SEECoS Program has hosted 163 UBMS students in summer research experiences from Summer 2007-2012. Participating faculty help plan and supervise a five-week long research project for groups of 3 or 4 students that can be completed in twice-weekly, 3-hour laboratory sessions. Graduate and undergraduate students are usually the direct supervisors of the research project and help the SEECoS students prepare a PowerPoint presentation about their results. The project mentors are prepared for the experience by attending a science pedagogy course that focuses on the communication of science and learning, a project development workshop, and best practices for motivating group work and anticipating road blocks in motivation and participation. The pedagogy course is taught in the spring semester in 3 sessions on Saturday mornings so it does not disrupt regular course schedules.
- More information for faculty
- University of Colorado Boulder STEM Program - Integrating STEM Education at Colorado (iSTEM) brings together existing efforts and supports new efforts in STEM Education. The vision of iSTEM is to establish CU Boulder as a national hub of STEM education through an institute or center for STEM education.
- UC STEM Education Programs
- Carl Weiman Science Education Initiative at the University of British Columbia -The goal of the CWSEI is to achieve highly effective, evidence-based science education for all post-secondary students by applying the latest advances in pedagogical and organizational excellence.
- CWSEI Resources
- Yale University: The Center for Scientific Teaching -A teaching and learning Center at Yale led by Dr. Jo Handelsman, with the mission to spread the practices of evidence-based scientific teaching methods. These methods focus on active learning, diversity and assessment. There is information regarding their summer HHMI Institutes, publications, and instructional materials for faculty.
- Institute for Biology Education at University of Wisconsin, Madison -This website has good list of resources and publications from Wisconsin Program for Scientific Teaching.
- Faculty Focus - Faculty Focus is a free newsletter that is published in blog form for faculty in higher education.