BIOL 497: Biological Oceanography in Puerto Rico & the Virgin Islands
Travels during Winter Break
Prerequisite: BIOL 110
Learn biological oceanography and sailing onboard the SSV Corwith Cramer around Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
This course will expose students to the wide range of organisms, from microbes to animals, living in the open ocean. Topics covered include how organisms survive in aquatic environments, their physiology, ecology and evolution. We will discuss how life in the ocean is affected by depth range from the shallow photic zone to the deep seafloor as well as by ocean currents and continents. You will also learn about biological-physical interactions and the different methodological approaches to study biological oceanography.
Visit the BIOL 497 course website to learn more about this course.
BIOL 497 students are eligible to apply for the following scholarships (among many other financial opportunities), some depending on students' individual circumstances:
- Embedded Programs Scholarship ($1,000) from the Penn State Office of Global Programs
- Science Global Experiences Scholarship ($250-$1,000+) from the Office of Science Engagement
- Back to the World Scholarships ($500-$2,000) from the Penn State Office of Global Programs
- Student Engagement Network Grant ($2,000) from the Student Engagement Network
- Schreyer Ambassador Travel Grant (variable amount) for students in the Schreyer Honors College
Click here to complete the online BIOL 497 application
Next offered in December 2022
Dr. Mónica Medina, Professor of Biology