Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
Winter Break: 12/30/19 - 01/06/20
Prerequisite(s): BIOL 110
Application deadline: May 15, 2019
Learn biological oceanography and sailing onboard the SSV Corwith Cramer around Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
This course will expose students to the wide range of organisms, from microbes to animals, living in the open ocean. Topics covered include how organisms survive in aquatic environments, their physiology, ecology and evolution. We will discuss how life in the ocean is affected by depth range from the shallow photic zone to the deep seafloor as well as by ocean currents and continents. You will also learn about biological-physical interactions and the different methodological approaches to study biological oceanography.
Additionally, Biology students can attend full semester programs at the following international institutions:
- University of Auckland - Auckland, New Zealand
- University of Westminster - London, United Kingdom
- International Studies Institute Florence - Florence, Italy
Students are eligible to apply for:
- Global Experiences Scholarship (variable) from the Office of Science Engagement.
- Schreyer Travel Grant (variable) for students in the Schreyer Honors College.
**2019 application deadline is May 15, 2019**
Click here to complete the online application.
Visit the BIOL 497 course website to learn more about this course.