There are ways to gain international research experience, but you have to be creative, persistent, and start your search early.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Review the Education Abroad program listings for programs that include research. One great example is EuroScholars, which allows you to do intensive research for a full semester at one of 12 research universities throughout Europe. Other universities like the University of Sussex and the University College of Dublin, allow students to take one module (course) of directed research while taking other courses.
- Search for International REUs* which are offered through collaborative agreements between U.S. institutions and international collaborators.
- Visit the University Fellowships Office to find out more about prestigious summer fellowships and internship programs.
- Apply for programs like DAAD RISE*, which provide North American science and engineering students with the chance to do summer research with German graduate students in various German institutions.
- Join the Penn State chapter of IAESTE, an organization that coordinates international work experiences for students in technical majors.
- Network! If you’re already doing on-campus research here, then ask your research adviser or lab colleagues about any possible opportunities to work on a project abroad with ay international collaborators.
Here are some suggestions:
- Become familiar with the Penn State Education Abroad website. There is a huge amount of information available online.
- Talk to your academic adviser to determine what types of courses you will need to take. Some science students choose take all general education and electives requirements while others mix some science and non-science courses.
- Search the EA website for programs that match your criteria. If you are not taking science courses, you will have hundreds to choose from. If you are looking to take some science courses, here is a list of programs that typically offer a variety of science courses.
- University of Bath (England)
- University of Leeds (England)
- University of Sussex (England)
- University College Dublin (Ireland)
- IES Madrid (Spain)
- National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- CIEE Fremantle (Australia)
- Murdoch University (Australia)
- University of Wollongong (Australia)
- University of New South Wales (Australia)
- Victoria University of Wellington (New Zealand)
- Set up an advising appointment with our office to talk about your options.