There are ways to gain international research experience, but you have to be creative, persistent, and start your search early.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Review the Education Abroad program listings for programs that include research. Two great examples are EuroScholars and Arcadia STEM Summer Research, which allow you to do intensive research for a full semester or summer at one of 11 research universities throughout Europe and Australia. Other universities like the University College of Dublin allow students to take one module (course) of directed research while taking other courses.
- Search for International REUs which are offered through collaborative agreements between U.S. institutions and international collaborators.
- Visit the Undergraduate Research and Fellowships Mentoring Office to find out more about prestigious summer fellowships and internship programs.
- Apply for programs like DAAD RISE, which provide North American science and engineering students with the chance to do summer research at various German institutions.
- Network! If you’re already doing on-campus research here, then ask your PI, research adviser, or lab colleagues about any possible opportunities to work on a project abroad with international collaborators.
Here are some suggestions:
- Become familiar with the Penn State Education Abroad website. There is a huge amount of information available online.
- Talk to your academic adviser to determine what types of courses you will need to take. Some science students choose take all general education and electives requirements while others mix some science and non-science courses.
- Search the EA website for programs that match your criteria. If you are not taking science courses, you will have hundreds to choose from. If you are looking to take some science courses, here is a list of programs that typically offer a variety of science courses:
- EuroScholars (Switzerland, Belgium, or Netherlands)
- Arcadia STEM Summer Research (United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or Spain)
- University of Leeds (England)
- University of Sussex (England)
- University College Dublin (Ireland)
- IES Madrid (Spain)
- National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- University of New South Wales (Australia)
- Victoria University of Wellington (New Zealand)
- Schedule an appointment on Starfish with Joel Waters, Science Education Abroad Coordinator to talk about your options.