- Students will acquire a foundation in chemistry of sufficient breadth and depth to integrate and apply knowledge across chemical subdisciplines.
- Students will develop analytical reasoning and problem solving skills required for the pursuit of scientific research.
- Students will retrieve, read, and incorporate information from the chemical literature in various media forms.
- Students will demonstrate the necessary laboratory skills to design and safely conduct experiments and to accurately document and interpret experimental data.
- Students will develop the ability to communicate scientific information in written and oral form using an appropriate scientific style.
- Students will conduct themselves in a professional, ethical, and productive manner when working independently or in a team setting.
- Students will recognize the interdisciplinary nature of chemistry and its impact on society and the environment.
- Students will explore traditional and nontraditional career paths in chemistry and related fields.
The Penn State Chemistry Major is accredited by the American Chemical Society.