TaMis was founded to introduce discussions about equity and inclusion into the Biology department, highlighting the importance of the experiences of those with marginalized identities. Our goals include:
1) provide support for those who have experienced pushback in life based on who they are, where they come from, what they believe in, or how they look, sound, speak, hear, think, move, feel, or understand the world.
2) through discussion and action, serve as a catalyst for changes to teaching, mentoring and research practices that will lead to a more inclusive biology.
TaMIS Biology Spring Schedule : TBD
1. Have open, genuine, confidential discussion
2. Choose empathy over skepticism
3. Ask "What power dynamics are at play?"
4. "Both/And" instead of "Either/Or"
5. Intent over Impact
6. Respect the pronouns people use
7. Share the air
8. Speak to your own experience
9. Challenge your own privilege
10. Discuss message, not tone of message
11. Respect the choice to share
12. Personal stories from others do not leave the room without permission (except for