Ph.D. Cornell University (2006)
B.S. University of Arizona (2001)
I study the dynamical laws and matter content that determine the evolution of the universe, especially at the earliest times and highest energies. The underlying theory must be a quantum theory that successfully incorporates both gravity and particle physics beyond the known forces of the Standard Model. My current projects focus mostly on open quantum systems motivated by cosmology, and on dissipative dark matter and black holes.
Honors and Awards
- Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation Fundamental Physics Innovation Convening Award (2020)
- C.I. Noll Award for Excellence in Teaching (2019)
- Visiting Fellow, Perimeter Institute (January 1, 2016 - present)
- Emmy Noether Visting Fellow, Perimeter Institute (August 2015 - December 2015)
- Robinson-Appel Humanitarian Award (2005)
- Prudhoe, S. and Shandera, S., Classifying the non-time-local and entangling dynamics of an open qubit system, JHEP 02 (2023) 007.
- The LIGO Scientific, VIRGO and KAGRA Collaborations, and Jeong, D. and Shandera, S., Search for subsolar-mass black hole binaries in the second part of Advanced LIGO's and Advanced Virgo's third observing run, MNRAS (2023) 10.1093/mnras/stad588.
- Akhouri, U., Shandera, S., and Yesmurzayeva, G., Increasing extractable work in small qubit landscapes, 2203.10928.
- Shandera, S., Jeong, D. and Gebhardt, H.S.G, Gravitational waves from binary mergers of subsolar mass dark black holes, Phys. Rev. Lett. 120 (2018) no.24, 241102.
- Shandera, S., Agarwal, N., and Kamal, A., Open quantum cosmological system, Phys. Rev. D. 98 (2018) no. 98, 083535.
- Abazajian, K.N., Adshead, P., Ahmed, Z., Allen, S., Alonso, D., et al. CMB-S4 Science Book, 2016.
- Nelson, E. and Shandera, S. Statistical Naturalness and non-Gaussianity in a Finite Universe. Phys. Rev. Lett., 110 (2013), no.13, 131301.
- Burgess, C., Holman, R., Leblond, L., and Shandera, S. Super-Hubble de Sitter Fluctuations and the dynamical RG. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, 2010(03), 033.
- LoVerde, M., Miller, A., Shandera, S., and Verde, L. Effects of scale-dependent non-Gaussianity on cosmological structures. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics 2008, no. 04 (2008): 014.
- Becker, M., Leblond, L., Shandera, S. Inflation from wrapped branes. Phys. Rev. D 76, 123516 (2007).
- Nicholas Mateer