University of Virginia (B.S.), 1967
Princeton University (M.A.), 1968
Princeton University (Ph.D.), 1974
Honors and Awards
- University of Virginia Echols Scholar (1963)
- University of Virginia Hamilton Watch Award (1967)
- Woodrow Wilson Fellow (1967)
- N.D.E.A. Fellowship (1968)
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellow (1977)
- Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America (1988)
- Fellow of the American Physical Society (1989)
- Silver Medal in Physical Acoustics, Acoustical Society of America (1994)
- Divisional Associate Editor, Physical Review Letters (2003-2006)
- Associate Editor, Physical Review E (2007-2019)
- Associate Editor, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (2010-present)
- J. D. Maynard, "Determination of the thermodynamics of He II from sound velocity data", Phys. Rev. B 14, 3868-3891 (1976).
- G. J. Jelatis, J. A. Roth and J. D. Maynard, "Observation of fifth sound in a planar superfluid 4He film", Phys. Rev. Lett. 42, 1285-1288 (1979). This research was reviewed in Physik in unserer Zeit, 12 Jahrg. 1981, pp 43-51.
- J. D. Maynard, "Resonant Ultrasound Spectroscopy", Physics Today 49, 26-31 (1996).
- J. D. Maynard, E. G. Williams and Y. Lee, "Nearfield Acoustic Holography (NAH). I. Theory of generalized holography and the development of NAH", J. Acoust. Soc. Amer. 78, 1395-1413 (1985). This research was featured in Science Digest, November 1982, pg 24, and in a television show hosted by Don Herbert, aka "Mr. Wizard".
- Shanjin He and J. D. Maynard, "Detailed measurements of inelastic scattering in Anderson localization", Phys. Rev. Lett. 57, 3171-3174 (1986).
- Shanjin He and J. D. Maynard, "Eigenvalue spectrum, density of states and eigenfunctions of a two-dimensional quasicrystal", Phys. Rev. Lett. 62, 1888-1891 (1989). This research was featured in the New York Times, Science Section, 5 September 1989, in Nature, 17 August 1989, pg 504, and in New Scientist, 17 June 1989, pg 40.
- J. D. Maynard, "Acoustical analogs of condensed matter problems", Rev. Mod. Phys. 73, 401-417 (2001).
- M. J. McKenna, R. L. Stanley and J. D. Maynard, "Effects of nonlinearity on Anderson localization", Phys. Rev. Lett. 69, 1807-1810 (1992).
- P. S. Spoor, J. D. Maynard, M. J. Pan, D. J. Green, J. R. Hellman and T. Tanaka, "Elastic constants and crystal anisotropy of titanium diboride", Appl. Phys. Lett. 70, 1959-1961 (1997).
- P. S. Spoor, J. D. Maynard and A. R. Kortan, "Elastic isotropy and anisotropy in crystalline and quasicrystalline AlCuLi", Phys. Rev. Lett. 75, 3462-3465 (1995).
- C. Nisoli, N. M. Gabor, P. E. Lammert, J. D. Maynard and V. H. Crespi, "Static and dynamical phyllotaxis in a magnetic cactus", Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 186103 (2009). This research was featured in Nature Materials, 6 June 2010, pg 470.
Research involves building acoustic systems which, because the Schrödinger equation is a wave equation, are mathematically analogous to quantum mechanical systems. This approach permits the study of quantum mechanical solid state problems involving the effects of disorder, nonlinear interactions, and time-dependent scatterers.