PhD, Astrophysics, University of Colorado, Boulder, 2007
BS/BS, Physics/Astronomy, University of Iowa, 2000
527 Davey Lab
I specialize in the design, fabrication, testing, and implementation of diffraction gratings for high throughput, high resolving power astrophysical observations. My research topics include the fabrication of UV/X-ray gratings using nanofabrication methodologies, alignment and testing of aligned grating modules, and the incorporation of grating modules into space-based spectrometers. My astronomical interests include studying diffuse X-ray objects such as supernova remnants and their interactions with their environments. Missions I'm currently working on will study a broad range of science goals ranging from the cycle of hot baryons in the Universe to the radiation environment around extrasolar planets. In my free time I like to hang out with my wife and four children. In my free free time I enjoy fishing, gaming, and ultimate frisbee.
Current Mission Affiliations
Lynx - Flagship Class - Instrument Working Group Co-Chair, Leader of Reflection X-ray Grating Spectrograph
Arcus - Mid-Explorer Class - Co-I/Institutional PI, Ground Calibration Lead, Instrument Control Unit Provider
ESCAPE - Small-Explorer Class - Co-I/Institutional PI, Grating Provider
tREXS - Suborbital Rocket - PI
OGRE - Suborbital Rocket – PI
Selected Recent Publications
1. Kruczek, N., Miles, D. M., Fleming, B., McEntaffer, R., France, K., Grisé, F., & McCandliss, S., "High efficiency echelle gratings for the far ultraviolet," Applied Optics, 61(22), 6430, 2022.
2. France, K., et al., "Extreme-ultraviolet Stellar Characterization for Atmospheric Physics and Evolution mission: motivation and overview," Journal of Astronomical Telescopes, Instruments, and Systems, 8, 014006, 2022.
3. Donovan, B. D., et al., "Comprehensive line-spread function error budget for the Off-plane Grating Rocket Experiment," Journal of Astronomical Telescopes, Instruments, and Systems, 7, 014003, 2021.
4. Zhang, N., McEntaffer, R., McCoy, R., & DeRoo, C., "Metrology for Measuring Custom Periodicities on Diffraction Gratings," Journal of Astronomical Instrumentation, 10(2), 2150005, 2021.
5. DeRoo, C. T., Termini, J., Grisé, F., McEntaffer, R. L., Donovan, B. D., & Eichfeld, C., "Limiting Spectral Resolution of a Reflection Grating Made via Electron-Beam Lithography," The Astrophysical Journal, 904, 142, 2020.
6. DeRoo, C. T., McEntaffer, R. L., Donovan, B. D., Grisé, F., Eichfeld, C., Burwitz, V., Hartner, G., Pelliciari, C., & La Caria, M-M., “Large-format X-Ray Reflection Grating Operated in an Echelle-like Mounting,” The Astrophysical Journal, 897, 92, 2020.
7. McCoy, J. A., McEntaffer, R. L., & Miles, D., “Extreme Ultraviolet and Soft X-ray Diffraction Efficiency of a Blazed Reflection Grating Fabricated by Thermally Activated Selective Topography Equilibration,” The Astrophysical Journal, 891, 114, 2020.
8. McEntaffer, R. L., “Reflection grating concept for the Lynx X-ray Grating Spectrograph,” Journal of Astronomical Telescopes Instruments and Systems, 5, 021002, 8 pages, 2019.
9. Miles, D. M., Hull, S. V., Schultz, T. B., Tutt, J. H., Wages, M., Donovan, B. D., McEntaffer, R. L., Falcone, A. D., Anderson, T., Bray, E., Burrows, D. N., Chattopadhyay, T., Eichfeld, C. M., Empson, N., Grisé, F., Hillman, C. R., McCoy, J. A., McQuaide, M., Myers, B. J., Steiner, T., Verschuuren, M. A., Yastishock, D., & Zhang, N., “Water Recovery X-ray Rocket grating spectrometer,” Journal of Astronomical Telescopes Instruments and Systems, 5, 044006, 11 pages, 2019.
10. Miles, D. M., McCoy, J. A., McEntaffer, R. L., Eichfeld, C. M., Lavalee, G., Labella, M., Drawl, W., Liu, B., DeRoo, C. T., & Steiner, T., "Fabrication and Diffraction Efficiency of a Large-format, Replicated X-ray Reflection Grating," the Astrophysical Journal, 869(2), 95, 2018.