Xiaoyue Maggie Niu is an Associate Research Professor of Statistics and Director of the Statistical Consulting Center at Penn State.
Niu received her Ph.D. in Statistics from University of Washington in 2010. She received her M.S. in Applied Math from University of Minnesota Duluth in 2005, and a B.S. in Applied Math from Peking University in 2003.
Her research focuses on the development of statistical models that solve real world problems, especially with applications in health and social sciences. The methodological approaches she takes include Bayesian methods, social network models, and latent variable models. Another big part of her work is in the statistical consulting center. She collaborates with a variety of researchers on campus and mentor graduate students to work with them. Solving practically important problems and interacting with people from diverse background are the most enjoyable part of her work.
Niu has contributed to ASA as an executive officer in the Section on Statistical Consulting and JSM poster chair. She joined Penn State as an assistant research professor in 2011. She is currently serving as an Associate Editor for STAT, and JASA/TAS reviews.
- X. Niu, and P.D. Hoff. Joint Mean and Covariance Modeling of Multiple Health Outcomes, The Annals of Applied Statistics, 13 (1), 321-339, 2019
- X. Niu and J.L. Rosenberger. Near-Balanced Incomplete Block Designs, with An Application to Poster Competitions, The American Statistician, 73(2), 159-164, 2019
- B. Kim, K. Lee, L. Xue, and X. Niu. A Survey of Dynamic Network Models with Latent Variables, Statistics Surveys, 12(0), 105-135, 2018
- X. Niu, A. Zhang, T. Brown, R. Puckett, M. Mahy, and L. Bao. Incorporation of Hierarchical Structure into EPP Fitting with Examples of Estimating Sub-National HIV/AIDS Dynamics, AIDS,31: S51-S59, 2017
- P.D. Hoff, X. Niu, and J.A. Wellner. Information bounds for Gaussian copulas, Bernoulli, 20(2):604–622, 2014
- P.D. Hoff and X. Niu. A Covariance Regression Model, Statistica Sinica, 22(2): 729-753, 2012
- A.E. Raftery, X. Niu, P.D. Hoff, and K.Y. Young. Fast Inference for Latent Space Network Models using Case-control Likelihoods, Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics. 21:901–919, 2012
STAT 580/581 - Statistical Consulting Practicum I/II
STAT 597 - Statistical Analysis of Network Data