Duncan K. H. Fong is a Frank and Mary Jean Smeal Research Fellow and Professor of Marketing and Statistics at Penn State.
Fong received his MS and PhD in Statistics from Purdue University in 1984 and 1987, respectively. He received his BS in Mathematics (First Class Honor) from the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1979.
His research interests include Bayesian analysis, marketing research, marketing analytics, operations and supply chain management. He is currently working on several projects, which include the development of new methodologies to perform market segmentation, multidimensional scaling, co-clustering, causal inference, and the investigation of dynamic evolution of consumer preferences. Fong has published more than fifty refereed articles in various top journals in Marketing, Statistics, Operations Management and Operations Research.
Fong joined Penn State as Assistant Professor of Management Science in 1987. He became Professor of Marketing and Statistics in 2002 and was appointed chairman of the Marketing Department in 2010-13. He also served as Director of Smeal PhD Programs in 2009. Fong is a Fellow of the American Statistical Association, International Society for Bayesian Analysis, and Royal Statistical Society. He is an Editorial Board Member of Marketing Science and International Journal of Research in Marketing. In addition, he is a former Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Statistical Association, Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, ISBA Bulletin, and Asian European Journal of Mathematics. Fong is a Founding Member of the International Society for Bayesian Analysis and served on its Governing Board from 1992 to 1994. At Penn State, he has served on 34 doctoral and 13 MS committees, supervised 10 doctoral dissertations, 3 master theses and 1 undergraduate honors thesis. His former PhD advisees were placed at universities (e.g., Arizona State) and industrial firms (e.g., Google). He had been invited as a visiting scholar/professor at Yale University (2017), Columbia University (2017), University of Maryland (2011), City University of Hong Kong (2008), Duke University (2003), and Georgia Institute of Technology (1994).
Honors and Awards
- Frank and Mary Jean Smeal Research Fellow 2016-current
- Calvin E. and Pamala T. Zimmerman University Endowed Fellow 2012-2015
- Fellow of the American Statistical Association 2015
- Fellow of the International Society for Bayesian Analysis 2012
- Lin L., Fong D., "Bayesian Multidimensional Scaling Procedure with Variable Selection." Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, vol. 129, 2019, pp. 1-13.
- Kim S., Desarbo W., Fong D., "A Hierarchical Bayesian Approach for Examining Heterogeneity in Choice Decisions." Journal of Mathematical Psychology, vol. 82, 2018, pp. 56-72.
- Fong D., Kim S., Chen Z., Desarbo W., "A Bayesian Multinomial Probit Model for the Analysis of Panel Choice Data." Psychometrika, vol. 81, 2016, pp. 161-183.
- Fong D., Desarbo W., Chen Z., Xu Z., "A Bayesian Vector Multidimensional Scaling Procedure Incorporating Dimension Reparameterization with Variable Selection." Psychometrika, vol. 80, 2015, pp. 1043-1065.
- Kim S., Blanchard S. J., Desarbo W., Fong D., "Implementing Managerial Constraints in Model-Based Segmentation: Extensions of Kim, Fong, and DeSarbo (2012) with an Application to Heterogeneous Perceptions of Service Quality." Journal of Marketing Research, vol. L, 2013, pp. 664-673.
- Kim S., Fong D., Desarbo W., "Model Based Segmentation Featuring Simultaneous Segment Level Variable Selection." Journal of Marketing Research, vol. XLIX, 2012, pp. 725-736.
- Fong D., Ebbes P., Desarbo W., "A Heterogeneous Bayesian Regression Model for Cross Sectional Data Involving a Single Observation per Response Unit." Psychometrika, vol. 77, no. 2, 2012, pp. 293-314.
- Li K., Fong D., Xu S. H., "Managing Trade-in Programs Based on Product Characteristics and Customer Heterogeneity in Business-to-Business Markets." Manufacturing & Services Operations Management, vol. 13, no. 1, 2011, pp. 108-123.
- Fong D., Desarbo W., Park J., Scott C., "A Bayesian Vector Multidimensional Scaling Procedure for the Analysis of Ordered Preference Data." Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 105, no. 490, 2010, pp. 482-492.
- Fong D., Desarbo W., "A Bayesian Methodology for Simultaneously Detecting and Estimating Regime Change Points and Variable Selection in Multiple Regression Models for Marketing Research." Quantitative Marketing and Economics, vol. 5, 2007, pp. 427-453.
- MKTG 342 – Marketing Research
- MKTG 597 – Bayesian Methods with Application in Marketing and Behavioral Science