Michael Akritas is a Professor of Statistics at Penn State.
Akritas received his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin in 1978. He completed his M.Sc. at the University of Southampton, England in 1974, and his B.Sc. at the University of Athens, Greece in 1972.
Akritas was co-founder and member of the Executive Committee of the International Society for Nonpara-metric Statistics (ISNPS) from 2012 to 2018. He served as Associate Editor for Statistics & Probability Letters (1992-2012), Journal of Environmental Statistics (1993–2007), Journal of Nonparametric Statistics (2003–2007), Journal of the American Statistical Association (2004–2006), and currently serves as Associate Editor of the Brazilian Journal of Statistics, beginning in 2012. He also served as Director of the National Statistical Consulting Center for Astronomy from 1994-2001.
Throughout his career, Akritas served as instructor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) from 1978 to 1979; assistant professor at the University of Rochester from 1981 to 1984; associate professor (1985–1992), professor (1992-current), and graduate studies chair (1994-1998) at Penn State; and professor at the National Technical University of Athens from 2001 to 2004.
From 1980 to 2006, he was a visiting assistant professor at MIT; visiting associate professor at Texas A&M and University of Pennsylvania; visiting fellow at Australian National University; visiting professor at the University of Gottingen and University of Cyprus, and visiting fellow at Australian National University.
Honors and Awards
- Elected Fellow - Institute of Mathematical Statistics (2001)
- Elected Fellow - American Statistical Association (2001)
- Single index quantile regression for censored data. Stat Methods Appl . https://doi.org/10.1007/s10260- 019-00450-4 With E. Christou. (2019).
- Hypothesis Testing Sure Independence Screening for Nonparametric Regression. Electronic Journal of Statistics, DOI: 10.1214/154957804100000000. With A. Z. Zambom. 2018.
- Variable Selection in Single Index Quantile Regression for Heteroscedastic Data. Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods, DOI: 10.1080/03610926.2017.1405271 With E. Christou. 2017.
- NonpModelCheck: An R Package for Nonparametric Lack-of-Fit Testing and Variable Selection. Journal of Statistical Software, vol. 77, issue 10. http://dx.doi.org/10.18637/jss.v077.i10. With A. Z. Zambom. 2017.
- Asymptotic Theory for the First Projective Direction. Annals of Statistics 44, 2161-2189. 2016.
- Projection Pursuit Multi-Index (PPMI) Models. Statistics and Probability Letters 114, 99-103. 2016.
- Single Index Quantile Regression for Heteroscedastic Data. Journal of Multivariate Analysis, 150, 169 - 182. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmva.2016.05.010). With E. Christou. 2016.
- Significance Testing and Group Variable Selection. Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Vol 133, 51-60. With Adriano Zambom. 2015.
- Nonparametric Lack-of-Fit Testing and Consistent Variable Selection. Statistica Sinica, Vol 24, 1837-1858. With Adriano Zambom. 2014.
- Two-fold Nested Designs: Their Analysis and Connection with Nonparametric ANCOVA. Statistica Sinica, Vol. 24, 43-62. With Shu-Min Liao. 2014.
- Testing for Main Random Effects in Two-Way Random and Mixed Effects Models: Modifying the F Statistic. Journal of Probability and Statistics, Vol 2013, (http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ jps/2013/708540/). With T. Gaugler. 2013.