Jia Li is a Professor of Statistics and (by courtesy) Computer Science at Penn State.
Li received her Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 1999. She received her M. Sc. degrees in Electrical Engineering and Statistics from Stanford in 1995 and 1998, and a B.S. in Information and Control Engineering in Xi'an Jiao Tong University in China in 1993.
Her current research work includes high dimensional clustering, learning in the Wasserstein metric space, hidden Markov models, and applications in biomedicine, computational psychology, and meteorology.
She is the Editor-in-Chief for Statistical Analysis and Data Mining: The ASA Data Science Journal from 2018 to 2020. She worked as a Program Director at the National Science Foundation from 2011 to 2013, a Visiting Scientist at Google Labs in Pittsburgh from 2007 to 2008, a researcher at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center from 1999 to 2000, and a Research Associate in the Computer Science Department at Stanford University in 1999.
Honors and Awards
Fellow of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Fellow of the American Statistical Association (ASA)
- Jia Li, Beomseok Seo, Lin Lin "Optimal Transport, Mean Partition, and Uncertainty Assessment in Cluster Analysis,'' Statistical Analysis and Data Mining: The ASA Data Science Journal, 12(5):359-377, 2019. (download)
- Jianbo Ye, Panruo Wu, James Z. Wang, Jia Li, "Fast discrete distribution clustering using Wasserstein Barycenter with sparse support,'' IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 65(9):2317-2332, 2017. (download)
- Lin Lin and Jia Li, "Clustering with hidden Markov model on variable blocks,'' Journal of Machine Learning Research, 18(110):1-49, 2017. (download)
- Jia Li, Lei Yao, Ella Hendriks, and James Z. Wang, "Rhythmic brushstrokes distinguish van Gogh from his contemporaries: findings via automated brushstroke extraction,'' IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 34(6):1159-1176, 2012. (download)
- Lei Yao, Poonam Suryanarayan, Mu Qiao, James Z. Wang, and Jia Li, "OSCAR: On-site composition and aesthetics feedback through exemplars for photographers,'' International Journal of Computer Vision, 96(3):353-383, 2012. (download)
- Jia Li, James Z. Wang, "Real-time computerized annotation of pictures,'' IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 30(6):985-1002, 2008. (download)
- Jia Li, Surajit Ray, Bruce G. Lindsay, "A nonparametric statistical approach to clustering via mode identification,'' Journal of Machine Learning Research, 8(8):1687-1723, 2007. (download)
- Jia Li, James Z. Wang, "Automatic linguistic indexing of pictures by a statistical modeling approach,'' IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 25(9):1075-1088, 2003. (download)
- James Z. Wang, Jia Li, Gio Wiederhold, "SIMPLIcity: Semantics-sensitive integrated matching for picture libraries,'' IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 23(9):947-963, 2001. (download)
- Jia Li, Amir Najmi, Robert M. Gray, "Image classification by a two dimensional hidden Markov model,'' IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 48(2):517-33, 2000. (download)
STAT 557 - Statistical Learning and Data Mining
STAT 416 - Stochastic Modeling