Scholarship awards pay the camp fee for each recipient to attend a Science-U day camp of her choice!
Applications and STEM Teacher/Mentor Recommendation Forms are due on Jan 10th, 2020!
The State College Branch of the American Association of University Women annually sponsors scholarships to Science-U day camps for girls and young women in Centre County. The mission of AAUW is to advance gender equity for women and girls through research, education and advocacy. More information about the State College Branch of the AAUW may be found at its website: www.aauwstatecollege.org/
Who is eligible:
- Girls entering 6th through 12th grade in Fall 2020
- Residence in, or attendance at, a Centre County school district (Bald Eagle Area, Bellefonte Area, Penns Valley Area, Philipsburg-Osceola, or State College Area).
- Sincere interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and/or Math (STEM)
- Demonstration of a positive attitude and strength of character
- Motivation to learn about STEM and academic effort
- All materials are due by January 10, 2020
- Scholarship applications will be reviewed by the AAUW State College Branch STEM Committee.
- Applicants will be notified by January 27, 2020, which is before Science-U registration opens on February 5th, 2019 at 10:00a.m.
Instructions for Applicants:
1. Complete the Scholarship Application Form (available below). The form requests contact information and a selection of your camp choice. Camp choices may be found on page 2 of the application and at https://science.psu.edu/outreach/scienceu. Please submit the completed application by January 10th, 2020, along with a one-page essay. The essay (approx. 300-500 words) must answer the following questions:
- What area of science interests you the most and why?
- Which Science-U camp did you choose and how do you think attending this camp will benefit you?
- If selected, how will you use this experience to encourage others to be interested in STEM?
If using the fillable PDF version of this form, please remember to save the completed form with a new name so that your information is saved! For more helpful suggestions for completing fillable forms, see the bottom of this page.
2. Ask a teacher from a previous or current science, mathematics, engineering, or technology class OR a STEM mentor (an adult who has supervised or mentored you in any STEM activity, e.g., coach of your robotics team or supervisor of a science club) to complete the STEM Teacher/Mentor Recommendation Form (available below). (Remind them to submit before the January 10th, 2020 deadline!)
If using the fillable PDF version of this form, please remember to save the completed form with a new name so your information is saved! For more helpful suggestions for completing fillable forms, see the bottom of this page.
3. Submit your Application Form and essay by January 10th, 2020 in one of the following ways:
Mail: Science-U Summer Camp Program
AAUW State College Branch STEM Scholarship Committee
201 Ritenour Building
University Park, PA 16802
Fax: (814) 865-0096
For paper registration forms, questions, or more info, contact the Science-U office at:
Phone: (814) 865-0083
Quotes from past AAUW Scholarship Recipients:
I’m really glad that i applied for the scholarship, because the camp was truly an amazing experience that i will not forget about anytime soon. - 2019 high school aauw scholarship recipient
My experience was amazing, and I learned a lot at Science-U! I have no idea if i would know this much if I didn’t earn that sCholarship. - 2019 middle school aauw scholarship recipient
Being a scholarship recipient was wonderful because it provided me with the opportunity of attending this program, something that i may not have had otherwise. - 2019 high school aauw scholarship recipient
Follow these steps to complete a PDF Fillable Form:
1. Download and Install Adobe Reader Software.
To access, view, download, complete and print fillable forms you will need to use the latest Adobe Reader. Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free and can be downloaded from https://get.adobe.com/reader/ if your computer does not have it currently. Follow the instructions from Adobe to properly install the software.
2. View the Form, then Save it to your computer.
Click the button or website link that leads to the form. When it is open, select the “Download” or “Save” icon. You might be given the opportunity to choose where to save your PDF form. Make note of where you are saving it so you can open it in a later step. If you are not able to choose the folder location, it will be saved to your "Downloads" folder.
3. Open the Form and complete it
Locate the PDF file you saved in the last step in Windows and double click it to open.
4. Save the PDF Form with a new name
When the PDF form is complete, save it as a new document with your last name in the title. (example: “ApplicationForm_Eberly”). At this point you can attach the completed and saved document to an email and send it back for review. Alternatively, you may print it to be mailed or faxed.