Whether you need volunteer hours, would like to share your research with the world, or just love science, the Office of Science Outreach has a way to get involved!
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
We need volunteers year-round at on-campus and school events! Penn State students, student groups, labs, and employees can help us run events, community members in STEM fields can serve as speakers, and local STEM-oriented companies can table at some of our events. Events and programs we are currently recruiting volunteers for are listed below.
ENVISION 2020 – Call for Volunteers and Workshop Proposals is OPEN!
ENVISION, the Office of Science Outreach's annual STEM Career Day Supporting Young Women, is scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 29th 2020. This all-day event features workshops and networking sessions designed to expose middle and high school-aged students to potential academic and career pathways in STEM. We are currently seeking volunteers and workshop proposals for this exciting annual event – see below for more information!
- Individual Volunteers: Individuals can volunteer in a few different roles (details for each are below). If you are interested in volunteering for any of these roles, please fill out this interest survey: https://pennstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6A689hRb3nXasf3. Spots are limited, so fill out the survey ASAP if you’d like to be part of this great event!
- Group Mentors (full-day commitment): Our mentors serve as guides for a group of 5-6 students throughout the ENVISION event. Along with leading their groups through the three workshop sessions, mentors will also serve as important role models for participants by providing encouragement, sharing their own stories, and answering their group's questions throughout the day. Mentors will receive lunch and an event T-shirt! Group mentors will be required to get their 3 publicly available background clearances if they do not already have them.
- Networking Volunteers (1.5 hr commitment): Share your journey into science with our ENVISION attendees as a volunteer at our afternoon networking session (tentatively set for 3-4pm)! This is a great option for people who would like to get involved but are unable to commit to volunteer the whole day. (Background clearances not required for this role.)
- Logistics/Supporting Volunteers (flexible commitment): A great option for those who are more interested in helping with the background setup and logistics of the event! Our logistics volunteers will work with the Outreach team to make sure the event is a fun and well-run experience for all of our attendees! (Background clearances are required for logistics volunteers.)
- Workshop Proposals
- The interactive STEM workshops are the heart of the ENVISION event! We are currently seeking proposals for 60-minute workshops that are designed to engage 15-20 middle or high school girls in hands-on inquiry and exploration of STEM topics. Faculty members, post-docs, graduate student groups and undergraduate student groups are encouraged to submit workshop ideas!
- If your lab, department unit, or student group is interested in running a workshop, please follow this BOX link (https://psu.box.com/s/h1he3ufyoaof6enxc1xnnatk995lwkm2) to download the ENVISION Workshop Proposal Template. The template document contains more information about the expected length and format of the workshops. Submit completed proposals to Tim Gleason at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday, December 13th, 2019.
- The Science Outreach team will be evaluating the proposals as they are received, and will notify teams of final decisions the week of December 16th
EXPLORATION-U: STATE COLLEGE
Our Exploration-U Community Science Night event at State College Area High School is Tuesday, March 24th (snow date March 26th.) The event runs from 6-8pm and welcomes hundreds of members of the local community each year. Student organizations, community groups, research labs, and local STEM companies are invited and encouraged to serve as exhibitors and engage the families in attendance with fun STEM activities and demos! Registration will be open starting early in the Spring semester.
BELLEFONTE YOUTH CENTER- Run a Science Workshop!
We have recently cultivated a relationship with the Bellefonte Youth Center run by the Youth Service Bureau. Our first workshops were held in the Fall of 2019, with more expected in the future. If you, your lab, student group, or other STEM-related organization would like to host an hour-long evening workshop with BYC students, contact Tim Gleason at email@example.com. Dates and times are somewhat flexible!
Work With Us
We run two classes for Penn State students- check them out below!
Interested in getting involved?
Contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (814) 865-0083
Office of Science Outreach, 201 Ritenour Building, University Park, PA 16802