In the summer of 2005 the Mathematics Department of the Pennsylvania State University will host a Research Experiences for Undergraduates site. Participants will be selected from qualified applicants. We encourage students to apply for both, Summer REU and our MASS program which runs in the Fall semester of each year. Participation in REU followed by MASS provides an opportunity for completing a more substantial long-term research project.
Application deadline is March 1, 2005.
The program will run for 7 weeks from June 26 to August 11, 2005. It will combine learning with research and include:
- one six-week mini-course Topics in Algebra
Instructor: Yuri Zarhin, Professor of Mathematics
- Weekly seminar run by the program coordinator
- Research projects
Each REU 2005 participant will recieve a stipend of $2,500, reimbursement for room and board, and travel reimbursement up to $500.
Applications will be considered as long as positions are still available.
- Application Form
- Record of Mathematics courses
- Essay describing student's interest in mathematics
- Two Faculty Recommendations
- Send your applications to:
REU Summer Program
111 McAllister Building
Department of Mathematics
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802
- Make other inquiries at:
TOPICS IN ALGEBRA
June 26 - August 11
TIME: MWF 10:10 am - 12:05 pm
INSTRUCTOR: YURI ZARHIN
MAIN TOPICS include:
- Divisibility of integers. Prime numbers and their distribution; Chebyshev's theorem.
- Polynomials, their roots and derivatives. B'ezout theorem, Lagrange interpolation formula. Binomial coefficients, Bernoulli numbers and Bernoulli polynomials.
- Algebraic and transcendental numbers, the field of all algebraic numbers. The transcendence of e and π.
- Resultants, algebraic curves, Study's lemma, a rational parameterization of plane quadrics.