The Premedicine curriculum plan, a minimum of 126 credits, constitutes an excellent preparation for admission to medical school by offering a good balance between science and non-science courses. This major also gives students the freedom to tailor the program to meet individual needs by permitting a generous number of supporting courses. Specific admission requirements or recommendations of a particular medical school, not already in the required courses of the major, may be included among the supporting courses. Many students also use their supporting courses to pursue a minor.
The four-year interdisciplinary Premedicine degree provides a preparation in the natural sciences and supporting non-sciences enabling students to be competitive for entry to post-graduate professional schools and careers. Program Learning Objectives include the following:
- Students will acquire a foundation in the science disciplines (biology, chemistry and physics) of sufficient breadth and depth to enable them to read and critically interpret scientific literature.
- Student will develop strong oral and written communication skills necessary to communicate their findings to others.
- Students will develop basic knowledge of the primary natural science disciplines of chemistry, biology and physics and understand of the interdisciplinary nature of the fields (interdisciplinary program goal).
- Specifically, students will understand the process of cellular respiration and its importance in maintenance of aerobic life.
- Students can describe the process of cellular respiration.
- Students understand the parts of cellular respiration.
- Students appreciate the different fates of products of respiration vs. fermentation and the physiological impact of these processes on animal cells
- Students will recognize the importance of behaving ethically and understand their ethical responsibility as future health care professionals.
- University Bulletin, Premedicine Major Description
- Entrance to Major Requirements
- Premedicine Major Degree Requirement Check Sheet 2016 (for previous plans, contact the Science Advising Center)
- Premedicine Major Recommended Academic Plan (reflecting MCAT 2015 requirements)
- Create Your Own Premedicine Academic Plan
- Graduation and Commencement Information