Thomas F. Kent is an Instructor of Statistics at Penn State.
Kent received his Ph.D. in Mathematics and Masters of Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2005, a Masters of Applied Statistics from the Pennsylvania State University in 2019, and a Bachelors of Mathematics / Computer Science from Truman State University in 1996.
He currently works in the area of data privacy. In particular, his current research is focused on distributed regression in a privacy setting. That is, how to perform regression on a data set that cannot be aggregated due to privacy concerns.
Dr. Kent joined Penn State in 2019.
- A Note on the Enumeration Degrees of 1-Generic Sets, with L. Badillo, C. Bianchini, H. Ganchev, and A. Sorbi, accepted for publication in the Archive for Mathematical Logic, November, 2015.
- Empty Intervals of Enumeration Degrees, with A. E. M. Lewis and A. Sorbi, in Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, Vol. 163 (5), May 2012, pp. 567-574.
- Interpreting True Arithmetic in the Sigma^0_2-Enumeration Degrees, the Journal of Symbolic Logic, Vol. 75 (2), June 2010, pp. 522-550.
- On the Degree Spectrum of a Pi^0_1-class, with Andrew E. M. Lewis, in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 362, May 2010, 5283-5319.
- Image Analysis and Fractal Geometry to Characterize Soil Desiccation Cracks, with J. U. Baer and S. H. Anderson, in Geoderma, Vol. 154, Nos. 1-2, December 2009, pp. 153-163.
- The structure of the s-degrees contained within a single e-degree, in Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, Vol. 160 (1), July 2009, pp. 13-21.
- Branching in the Sigma^0_2-Enumeration Degrees: A New Perspective, with Maria Affatato and Andrea Sorbi, Archive for Mathematical Logic, Vol. 47 (3), July 2008, pp. 221-231.
- Undecidability of Local Structures of s-Degrees and Q-Degrees, with Maria Affatato and Andrea Sorbi, Tbilisi Mathematical Journal, Vol. 1, 2008, pp. 15-32.
- s-degrees within e-degrees, Theory and Applications of Models of Computation, TAMC08, Proceedings", Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 4978, 2008, pp. 579-587.
- Bounding Nonsplitting Enumeration Degrees, with Andrea Sorbi, the Journal of Symbolic Logic, Vol. 72 (4), December 2007, pp. 1405-1417.
- The Pi_3-Theory of the Sigma^0_2-Enumeration Degrees is Undecidable, the Journal of Symbolic Logic, Vol. 71 (4), December 2006, pp. 1284-1302.
STAT 380: Data Science Through Statistical Reasoning and Computation