Ph.D. University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA (1975)
B.Tech. Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, India (1970)
Supervisory Physical Scientist 2014 (Nov.) – 2017 (Sep.) [Retired Sept 30, 2017]
Chief, Acoustics & Networked Sensors Division 2009 (Oct.) – 2014 (Oct.)
Supervisory Physical Scientist 2006 (Oct.) – 2008 (Sep.)
US-Army Armament Research Engineering Development Center, Picatinny, NJ
Chief, Infrared Materials & Devices Branch 2004 (May) – 2006 (Oct.)
Army Research Laboratories, Adelphi, MD
Director of Technology 2003 (Sep.) – 2004 (Apr.)
Director of Modules and Subsystem Engineering 2003 (Jan.) – 2003 (Aug.)
TriQuint Optoelectronics, Breinigsville, PA
Director of Optical Systems 2001 (Sep.) – 2002 (Dec.)
Agere Systems, Allentown, PA
Vice President of Engineering, New Products 2000 (Jul.) – 2001 (Aug.)
Corvis Corporation, Columbia, MD
Director, Broadband Optical Access 1997 (Jan.) – 2000 (Jun.)
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff 1991 (Sep.) – 1996 (Dec.)
Member of Technical Staff 1979 (Mar.) – 1991 (Aug.)
Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ National Research Council Fellow 1975 (Jun.) – 1976 (May) & 1978 (May) – 1979 (Mar.)
Wright Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH Scientific Officer 1976 (Dec.) – 1978 (Feb.)
Materials Science Laboratory, Reactor Research Center, Kalpakkam, India.
8 Patents, 1 Book, 4 edited conference proceedings, 155 Publications on Semiconductor Materials, Devices, & Subsystems, Optical Networking, and Digital Video Transmission over Fiber
Honors and Awards
- Fellow 2007 – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Fellow 1995 – The Electrochemical Society (ECS)
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff 1991– Bell Laboratories
- Research and Development Achievement Award 2010 – U.S. Army
1. S. Gupta, S. N. Shirodkar, D. Kaplan, V. Swaminathan and B. I. Yakobson, “Franck Condon shift assessment in 2D MoS2,” Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, Vol. 30, No. 9 (2018).
2. J.-S. Kim, R. Juneja, N.P. Salke, W. Palosz, V. Swaminathan, A. K. Singh, S. Trivedi, D. Akinwande, and J.-F. Lin, “Structural and Electronic Topological Transitions of Bi1.5Sb0.5Te1.8Se1.2 under Hydrostatic Pressure,” J. Appl. Phys. 123, 115903 (2018).
3. F. Fabbri, E. Rotunno, E. Cinquanta, D. Campi, E. Bonnini, D. Kaplan, L. Lazzarini, M. Bernasconi, C. Ferrari, M. Longo, G. Nicotra, A. Molle, V. Swaminathan and G. Salviati, “Novel near-infrared emission from crystal defects in MoS2 multi-layer flakes,” Nat. Commun. 7, 13044 (2016).
4. A. Molle, F. Fabbri, D. Campi, A. Lamperti, E. Rotunno, E. Cinquanta, L. Lazzarini, D. Kaplan, V. Swaminathan, M. Barnasconi, M. Longo and G. Salviati “N-type doping and metal insulator transition in multilayered MoS2 incorporating native Cs impurities” Adv. Electronic Mat. 2, 15 Jun 2016.
5. D. Kaplan, Y. Gong, K. Mills, V. Swaminathan, P.M. Ajayan, S. Shirodkar and E. Kaxiras “Excitation intensity dependence of photoluminescence from monolayers of MoS2 and WS2/MoS2 heterostructures,” 2D Materials 3, 015005 (2016).
6. D. Kaplan, K. Mills, J. Lee, S. Torrel and V. Swaminathan “Excitation intensity dependent photoluminescence of annealed 2-dimensional MoS2 grown by chemical vapor deposition,” J. Appl. Phys. 119, 214301 (2016).
7. E. Rotunno, F. Fabbri, E. Cinquanta, D. Kaplan, L. Lazzarini, A. Molle, V. Swaminathan and G. Salviati “Structural, optical and compositional stability of MoS2 multi-layer flakes under high dose electron beam irradiation,” 2D Materials 3, 025024 (2016).
8. V. Swaminathan and A. Jayaraman, “Semiconductors, Raman Spectroscopy of,” In: Saleem Hashmi (editor-in-chief). Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering, Oxford: Elsevier; p. 1-8, (2016).
9. C. C. Wang, S. Trivedi, S. Kutcher, P. Rodriguez, F. Jin, V. Swaminathan, F. Walters, and N. S. Prasad, “Non-Contact Cardiac Activity Monitoring using Pulsed Laser Vibrometer,” Sensors & Transducers, Vol. 162 , p. 173-176 (2014).
10. D. Kaplan, G. Recine, and V. Swaminathan, “Electrically dependent bandgaps in graphene on hexagonal boron nitride,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 104, 133108 (2014).
11. D. Kaplan, V. Swaminathan, G. Recine, R. Balu and S. Karna, “Bandgap tuning of mono and bilayer graphene doped with group IV elements,” J. Appl. Phys. 113, 183701 (2013).