Current Issue: December 2013
- Data-driven Assessments Lead the Way for Innovative Statistical Solutions for Research
- 01 December 2013 — Making sense of the data that scientists collect is often a challenging part of research. Scientists employ the use of statistics to analyze data and understand how it is meaningful.
- Millennium Scholars: Beginning with the End Goal in Mind
- 01 December 2013 — A typical July day starts with breakfast at 6:30 a.m., includes eight hours of classwork, and ends with four hours of math recitation and study sessions before the students return to their dorm rooms at 11:00 p.m. The students move quickly as a group between classes, workshops and seminars – without cell phones, iPods, or laptops. They rush to be on time. They work, eat, and live together.
- Portrait of a Chemist: Stephen Benkovic
- 01 December 2013 — A chemistry professor discovers the clues to treating some of our most troubling diseases in his quest to understand enzymes.
- Investigating Biological Problems with Network-based Models
- 01 December 2013 — Network-based modeling is allowing scientists to under-stand how biological systems produce unexpected kinds of behavior. A network model provides a type of map that traces system interactions; it is a very powerful visualization and analysis tool.