Current Issue: June 2014
- Climate and Diversity: It's All About Communication
- 02 June 2014 — Climate outside the office can affect us everyday, whether it is winter weather making transportation difficult or a warm sunny day lifting the mood. But what about the other type of climate? People experience climate everyday in the workplace, in school, and in social situations; the atmosphere in each situation has a profound effect on a person’s mood, productivity level, and mental well-being. So what can be done to improve this type of climate?
- All in a Day’s Work: Melissa Rolls Excels as Researcher, Mentor, and Leader
- 02 June 2014 — Scientists have different motivating factors when it comes to deciding what exactly they are going to study. For some, the thrill of discovering something new pushes them to pursue research in a particular field; for others, passion or experience in an area makes the topic an easy choice. For Melissa Rolls, one direction of her research at Penn State was guided by a suggestion from one of her lab technicians.
- The Math Behind Decision-Making
- 02 June 2014 — Mathematics is a language interwoven in the everyday movements of the world around us. It is universal, often surprising in its applications, and can reveal previously hidden patterns and information about the workings of the world. Tim Reluga is an applied mathematician using the language of mathematics across disciplines in his work with the Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics (CIDD) at Penn State.
- Powering the Future of Science
- 02 June 2014 — From witnessing the first catalytic nanomotors to advancing the way we think about modern medical treatment and more, Ayusman Sen and Thomas Mallouk are making big discoveries on the nanoscale.