The Eberly College of Science does not require incoming students to purchase their own personal computer. However, students may benefit from having their own computer for completion of assignments, communication, and group work.
Basic configuration guidelines for incoming students who do not currently own a laptop or desktop and wish to purchase one:
- Processor: Intel Multi-core or AMD equivalent
- Memory: 4 Gig RAM
- Hard Drive: 500 Gig Hard drive
- Networking: 10/100/1000 BaseT ethernet port
- Wireless Networking: 802.11 g/n
- Display: 13-inch or greater for laptops. 17-inch or greater for desktops.
- Operating System: Windows 7 or 8 with the latest Microsoft service packs and updates applied. Apple with Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.x) or Lion (10.7.x) with the latest updates applied.
Specific Models are no longer available through the Penn State Computer Store. However, students have access to educational discounts directly through the manufacturers below:
The Eberly College of Science recommends students purchase one of the following:
Microsoft Office 2013 or iWork from the Apple App Store.