Penn State Science Advising is committed to helping you achieve successful academic and professional careers.
Why should I visit my adviser?
- To meet your coaches and colleagues
- To find your way on campus and in the world
- To avoid common pitfalls and spot early signs of future problems
- To discover your options
- To create goals and plans
- To prepare for what comes next
- To pursue professional and academic development
- To discuss your academic plans and progress
- To plan for graduation
- To understand relevant policies and procedures
- To change your major
How often should I visit my adviser?
Visit whenever you need one of the above. At minimum, schedule an appointment with your assigned adviser at least once per semester for a standard 30-minute appointment. Check in with your adviser before your class registration date (found on LionPATH in Student Center under Enrollment Dates) for your next semester.
How should I prepare for my appointment with my adviser?
We recommend scheduling at least one week in advance. Please plan ahead for an appointment by:
- Having specific questions.
- Arranging a way to take notes.
- Bringing related documents (if necessary).
Ask the Science Adviser
If you have any lingering questions after searching the Advising site, you can Ask the Adviser.