Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP) 2011
Program Offerings Include:
- Academic enrichment in the basic sciences (organic chemistry, physics, biology) and pre-calculus/calculus
- Career development
- Learning-skills seminar
- Limited clinical exposure
- A financial-planning workshop
To be eligible for SMDEP, an applicant must:
* be currently enrolled as a freshman or sophomore in college;
* have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5;
* be a U.S. citizen or hold a permanent resident visa; and
* not have previously participated in SMDEP.
Other factors considered in the admissions process include whether an applicant:
* identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in medicine and/or dentistry (as defined independently by each program site);
* comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background;
* has demonstrated interest in issues affecting underserved populations; and
* submits a compelling personal statement and strong letters of recommendation.
Each SMDEP site makes its admissions decisions on a "first come, first served" basis, therefore applying as early as possible increases your chance of being selected at your designated program site(s).
Admissions decisions are released on February 15th for applications completed by February 1st
Admissions decisions are released on April 1st for applications completed after February 1st